When most people think about ingesting marijuana rather than smoking or vaping, they don’t usually think about a refreshing beverage. But marijuana tea is a long-standing tradition when it comes to stoners. In fact, weed tea is one of the most ancient preparation methods for cannabis, prescribed by medical experts to treat people’s symptoms.
Learning how to make marijuana tea can therefore help you touch back to the first days when humans began taking cannabis for their medical symptoms as well as for spiritual enlightenment. Even better, cannabis tea takes just seconds to make, turning it into one of the easier ways to ingest your preferred dose of cannabinoids.
So now that we’ve caught your attention, find out how to make marijuana tea the easy way! Here are a couple of tried and true methods for making marijuana tea, along with a few tips to make sipping your herbal goodness as enjoyable as possible.
Method 1: Simple Infused Marijuana Tea
With this particular approach of infusing your marijuana directly, the pros are that it’s the fastest and least intensive method. You won’t create a ton of dirty dishes or stink up your house by making cannabutter.
Of course, the tradeoff is that this method will create weed tea that is not terribly potent. Some may even consider the method wasteful since it fails to sufficiently extract their desired portion of THC and other cannabinoids. Decarboxylating your weed will help ensure the infusion is more complete and has a higher quantity of THC.
- 2 grams dried, ground marijuana flower (preferably decarboxylated)
- A metal tea infuser or empty tea bag for loose leaves
- 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil
- Your preferred type of hot tea
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- A small stove pot
- 1 liter of water
How to Make It:
- You’re going to be brewing this tea through a similar method you’d use to brew any tea, which is by boiling the plant material in water. So start with a small pot containing around a liter of water brought to a boil.
- Pack your ground marijuana along with your butter or coconut oil. Since cannabis is only soluble in fat, the additional material is to help ensure the infusion works.
- Brew the tea mixture on low-medium for 30-45 minutes.
- You can add your own preferred type of tea in the last three minutes. A hearty English breakfast tea and jasmine tea combine well to cover up less desirable marijuana flavors.
- Serve in a cup with your preferred amount of sugar or honey.
Method 2: Spiced Ganja Latte
This latte-style weed tea concoction may be a bit oily, but it’s a surefire way to consume a sufficient amount of THC to get you nice and stoned. You’ll need to prepare cannabutter or cannabis-infused coconut oil first. Or, you can buy it pre-made.
- 1 tablespoon infused cannabutter or canna-coconut oil
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick (or a ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (or 3 cm of thinly sliced fresh turmeric)
- ½ ground ginger (or 2 cm of thinly sliced fresh ginger)
- ¼ whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
- Small saucepan
How to Make It:
- Whisk together your milk, ginger, turmeric, honey, peppercorns, and cinnamon along with one cup of water over low heat. Wait until the mixture first begins to boil.
- Reduce to a low heat and add your canna-coconut oil or cannabutter.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes, whisking frequently, until flavors blend.
- Serve through a strainer or fine sieve into mugs. Optionally add ground cinnamon and nutmeg for garnish and additional flavor.
Method 3: Fruity Iced Tea With THC Tincture
This method requires you to create (or buy) a cannabis-infused tincture first. A tincture is a preparation of something that has been dissolved and infused into alcohol.
This method means that the THC can be quickly dissolved into just about any liquid, no fat or heat required. It makes it just about the only method where you can enjoy your tea iced without worrying about slicks of oil or butter bobbing on the surface.
Making a tincture is simple, but it takes time. To do it, all you need is a jar filled with high-proof drinking alcohol, such as Everclear, vodka, or a clear rum. Ground and decarboxylated weed works best. You can even use stems!
Simply immerse the weed in your jar – and wait. Make sure to turn the jar and shake it every few days. A good tincture can take around 3-4 weeks to prepare. You can alternatively heat the jar with its lid off in simmering water for 30-40 minutes, but take care not to spill it!
Once you have a tincture, you can drop it into literally anything. It just takes a few drops for full potency, so don’t worry about getting drunk off your mixture.
Since this list is currently woefully lacking in iced tea options, here’s a recipe for how to make marijuana tea with flavorful fruit that can be enjoyed over ice. It’s perfect for those hot summer days!
- 2-3 teabags
- 1 liter water
- Small saucepan
- Medium saucepan
- A few drops of cannabis-infused tincture
- 1 ½ cups of water (for syrup)
- 1 cup cane or brown sugar
- Your favorite fruit, which can include:
- Garnish options:
- Mint leaves
- Peeled cucumber chopped into sticks
- Maraschino cherries
- Fresh chopped berries or fruit
How to Make It:
- Start by brewing your preferred fruit assortment into a simple syrup. Fill your saucepan with the smaller volume of 1½ cups of water along with your sugar and fruit. For larger fruits, like cantaloupe and peaches, you’ll need to slice them thinly. Heat to a steady boil. Stir frequently while crushing the fruit with your stirring spoon to more deeply infuse the flavor.
- After the sugar is completely dissolved, remove the syrup mixture from heat and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Brew your preferred strength of tea in the larger saucepan or whatever vessel you prefer. Do not let the tea steep for more than four minutes since this can create bitterness and astringency.
- Once your tea is brewed, transfer it to a pitcher then refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Take your steeped syrup mixture and pour it into a sealable bottle, jar, or container through a strainer to catch the fruit.
- Note that the fruit can be-reused for baking or as a topping in other dishes, like ice cream!
- When ready to serve, you can either keep the syrup separate and build each drink individually, or you can combine the refrigerated tea with the syrup. Add your preferred amount of tincture to each drink, and stir liberally. Add chosen garnish and enjoy!
We hope this article teaching you how to make cannabis tea inspired you to think beyond brownies and banana bread when it comes to edibles!
Brew up your favorite version for any season and sip with some friends to enjoy the stress relief benefits of marijuana, along with its many other wonderful effects.