When someone wants or needs to detox from weed, they often turn to their friends for advice first. The advice they are often given ranges from the often-bizarre urban myths to reasonable, sound guidance, with every possibility between. So, we decided to provide what we believe to be the top 10 weed detox methods.
Detoxing from Weed: Dispelling the Myths
The myths for weed detox, or to put it more accurately, detoxifying from THC, are endless. It would not be possible to list every weed detox myth here, but some of the more common involve chemicals, common household products, and food/supplements.
When drug testing started a few decades ago, one of the more popular notions was to add bleach to a urine sample. It was said that this would ‘get rid’ of the THC and result in a positive test result. Trouble is, there is no “getting rid” of a chemical; one can either alter it or mask it; bleach does the latter. Drug testing facilities were quick to catch on and many tests now check for bleach. If bleach is found, the drug test is an automatic fail.
Another common weed detox is drinking cranberry juice. Although it contains high levels of vitamin C and is a diuretic, there is no evidence that cranberry juice detoxes THC from your body. Likewise, some reports claim that drinking vinegar diluted in water will dilute urine and rid THC from the body.
Unfortunately, these quick fixes to weed detox simply do not work!
Are There Proven Weed Detox Methods?
Yes, there are proven methods to detox weed which brings us to the topic at hand: Top 10 Ways to Weed Detox. Simply put, the human body will naturally detoxify within three months, usually half that, and in some cases in under a week.
The differences can be attributed to many factors including:
- Individual metabolic rate will play a role in how fast the body will detox from weed
- Cannabis consumption including: quantity, potency, and frequency. A user who smokes often will require longer to detox than someone who smokes every so often. Likewise, for higher potencies and greater quantities.
- Frequency and rigor of exercise plays both a role in metabolism and in burning fat, both of which play a role in detoxifying the body from anything.
- Daily water intake also plays a role in how well the human body excretes excess chemicals, nutrients, or general waste.
- BMI (Body Mass Index), a measure of the fat to muscle ratio. The higher the number, the more fat a person has on their body as a percentage of their total mass. Generally, an adult with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is average. Lower is underweight and higher is overweight.
Top 10 Ways to Weed Detox
In creating this top ten list of ways to detox from weed, we decided to rank the methods from least effective to the best. Thus, counting down from the number 10 spot:
10. Water Pills – Diuretics have long been used to weaken the concentration of THC in urine. These work to some extent, but their reliability and advisability are questionable. It is wise to consult a doctor prior to taking any medication for purposes other than described on the packaging
9. Bentonite Clay – has long been used as a detoxifying agent by many. Whether used while bathing, as a lotion, or ingesting in a glass of water, the volcanic ash is known to absorb impurities in the body. Where do you get it? In any makeup department. Whether it works for weed detox is questionable. Use at your discretion.
8. Detox Drinks & Kits – Many abound in the market today and most are little more than diuretics and anti-oxidant drinks. As with water pills and Bentonite Clay, whether these works or not is questionable, though some tout strong marketing messages.
7. Water/Dilution – One way to detox from weed is to drink plenty of water. Water is a universal solvent and is the key requirement for flushing the body naturally. Of course if needing to pass a urine screen, adding supplements such as creatine and B vitamins is recommended.
6. Sauna – As with water, a natural weed detox method is to sit in a sauna. The hot steam opens pores, drawing sweat from the body. Along with the sweat are toxins, salts, and other substances, including fat cells with tiny THC molecules clinging for life.
5. Fibre – Fruit pectin is one of the best ways to get enough fibre to flush the system of THC but be very careful when using this product. Too much fibre can interrupt regular gastro-intestinal system function. Fibre works at detoxing weed, but large amounts may be harmful to your system.
4. Vitamin C – The anti-oxidant properties in Vitamin C have been found to help flush the body of impurities. Some have used this to good effect when needing to rapidly flush the body of THC. For more on this, read the book, Ur-ine Trouble by Kent Holtorf, M.D.
3. Tea – Tea as well holds anti-oxidant properties which have been found useful in flushing the body of impurities. For weed detox, tea is a great option and tastes yummy.
2. Exercise – Because THC clings to fat molecules and the only way to eliminate fat from the body is to burn it, then burn it we must. One of the quickest ways to detox from weed is exercise. Sweating it out while directly burning fat will rapidly flush the THC from the body. Of course, if you are overweight or over 40 years old, be sure to consult a physician prior to starting a new exercise program.
1. Abstinence – It should go without saying, but we had to include this in the number one spot. Why? Because we have all heard of people who used some weed detox product yet continued to smoke marijuana.
Ways to Detox from Weed
We hope you found these top 10 ways to detox from weed both enlightening and entertaining. Just remember when trying to detox from weed: If you need to pass a test and want to be sure, stop smoking at least two weeks in advance.
Heavy smokers may need more time, light smokers may need less, but that is a good rule of thumb!