Regulations concerning the consumption of cannabis for recreational purposes in Prince Edward Island have been designed in accordance with Federal regulations. However, they also feature restrictions / allowances that are specific to the Province. Here they are in point form to allow you to have a strong understanding of PEI marijuana regulations and how you can enjoy cannabis in accordance with PEI marijuana laws.
- The minimum age for recreational use of cannabis is 19 in Prince Edward Island.
- Areas of allowed use – private residences only at this time, with the potential for designated public consumption spaces to come later.
- Areas of controlled use – none specified.
- Areas where use is prohibited – at this time, consumption is prohibited everywhere that is not in a private residence or on private property.
- Driving restrictions are a fundamental part of PEI marijuana regulations – driving while under the influence of cannabis is strictly prohibited by law in Prince Edward Island. Failure to abide by this legislation can result in any or all of the following repercussions:
- Immediate license suspension
- Financial penalties
- Possible vehicle impoundment
- Possibility of criminal record
- Possibility of jail time
- Place of purchase restrictions – PEI marijuana laws currently make it so that you can only buy cannabis at four government-operated retail locations planned to open in 2018 (Charlottetown, Summerside, Montague, and West Prince), along with an e-commerce platform with direct-to-home delivery.
- Possession restrictions – individuals 19 and over are legally allowed to have a maximum of 30 grams of dried cannabis in their possession in public at any time.
- Transportation restrictions – when transporting cannabis, it must remain in its unopened packaging, and if an open package is being transported then it must be secure and inaccessible to anyone in the vehicle.
- Growing restrictions – individuals 19 and over are allowed to grow up to 4 plants per residence (not per resident) for personal consumption.
- Workplace regulations – consuming recreational cannabis in the workplace is illegal in Prince Edward Island, unless otherwise explicitly specified by the ownership or management.
PEI Marijuana Regulations: Medical
In compliance with the Cannabis Act of October, 2018 individuals who have received authorization from the regulatory body of the Canadian Province where they reside may purchase, possess, and consume medical cannabis without personal storage limits in the home, and public possession limits as follows; the lesser of 150 grams or a 30-day supply of dried cannabis (or the equivalent in cannabis product) in addition to the 30 grams allowed for non-medical purposes. Individuals must be able to provide documentation of their medical marijuana authorization if in public possession of cannabis.
Municipal Variances: Recreational & Medicinal
There are no variances between the Province and its PEI marijuana laws pertaining to cannabis and regulations for individual municipalities in the Province. Provincial regulations will apply to all cities, towns, and elsewhere in Prince Edward Island.